Skip to main content

Play Like Your Life Depends On It.

Well, my kicks are lit, my ride is lit, my job is lit, my life is lit, but something is missing. As a Portlander, you can't just talk the talk, walk the walk, and protest the things you hate - you have to do more. So, today I decided to learn to play the Bass

While this may be out of left (or right/independent/I don't vote or care) field, it has actually been a long time coming. Throwback to a Thursday in 2015. It's October, I'm in Arizona for the Annual The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. I just got my wife her first iPhone. It was a space gray iPhone 5s with 16Gb of memory. I know what you are thinking - 16Gb - WTF, it's basically unusable. And while you would be correct, she wasn't big on apps and relied heavily on iCloud to store pictures. Overall it was a good phone, hand-sized, and took what was at the time the best mobile phone pictures. Even though in retrospect the pictures were crappy, it was miles ahead of my android. 

So I'm in Albuquerque hanging with a good friend celebrating his 32nd birthday. We had just been to the balloon fiesta all day in the hot sun. It was so incredible to see thousands of balloons taking off and landing in this huge field. So we are sitting there eating cake, talking about the iPhone had how the 4s had the best in-hand feel when out of the blue he's like "dude, you should learn the bass" and hands me his bass. I know what you are thinking: "your like sounds way too perfect, I need proof". Well here is the picture...


I wasn't smart enough to recognize that a seed was planted that would one day blossom into something bigger than me, bigger than anything anyone would ever be able to contain. How could he have known that 4 years later I would be a highly successful blogger in PDX, looking for a way to take my lit life to the next level. Fast forward to now, I was told last month "you have the look of a bass player" by one of my wife's amazing musician friends and I'm like - my fate is sealed. It's time to face the music. 

Now, even though I'm hotter than you, am a wealthy blogger, and have way more free time to learn languages and play random musical instruments, I'm still not ready to fully commit to buying a bass. I mean, if it's fate - fate should pony up and bring the bass to me. So, I reach out to my amazing facebook family and told them they can finally have what they have been demanding for years, I will play for them, I just need the bass. Time will tell how many Grammys I win.